Foundation of the Republic of Austria is pleased to offer scholarships to international students of high academic ability for 2019 entry. Scholarships are available for students to pursue research on their diploma or master thesis or their dissertation at scientific research institutions in Austria (e.g. universities, Austrian Academy of Sciences, National Library, National Archive).
Foundation of the Republic of Austria aims to assist international students who require financial assistance with scholarship, specifically for overseas students.
In 2005 the Austrian National Council established the Scholarship Foundation of the Republic of Austria by an Act of Parliament, which is to provide scholarships for all areas of education and further education. The scholarships are awarded by the foundation board from funds of the Conciliation Fund of the Republic of Austria for descendants of forced labourers or people coming from countries that have suffered exceptionally from the Nazi regime, particularly from the recruitment of forced labourers.
Applicants must not have studied/pursued research/pursued academic work in Austria in the last six months before taking up the grant.Applicants from outside the home country will often need to meet specific English language/other language requirements in order to be able to study there.
- Application Deadline: March 1, 2019
- Course Level: Scholarships are available for students to pursue research on their diploma or master thesis or their dissertation at scientific research institutions in Austria (e.g. universities, Austrian Academy of Sciences, National Library, National Archive).
- Study Subject: Scholarships are offered in diverse fields to help students in upgrading their education.List of Subjects: Natural Sciences, Technical Sciences, Human Medicine, Health Sciences, Agricultural Sciences, Social Sciences, Humanities, and Arts.
- Scholarship Award: The scholarships will include:
1) Monthly Scholarship Installment: 1.050 EUR
2) Health insurance: OeAD scholarship holders need to have health insurance that is accepted by the Austrian authorities for the duration of their stay in Austria. The OeAD can help with taking out such insurance. The monthly costs can vary, at the moment you should calculate 55 to 200 EUR (depending on your age, scholarship category and state of health). The costs for the insurance have to be covered from the scholarship.
3) Accommodation: It is possible for OeAD scholarship holders to book accommodation (dormitory or apartment) with the OeAD Housing Office.The monthly costs are 220 to 470 EUR (depending on the level of comfort requested by the scholarship holder). The scholarship holder has to pay an administrative fee of 18 EUR/month to the OeAD Housing Office for the provision of accommodation. The costs for the accommodation have to be covered from the scholarship.
4) Travel Costs: Applicants from countries which are neither members of the EU nor members of EFTA, EEA or OECD can be granted a travel allowance. The lump sum depends on the country of origin.
- Number of Scholarships: Not Known
- Nationality: International Students
- Scholarship can be taken in Austria
Eligibility for the Scholarship:
- Eligible Countries: International Students (except Austria) can apply for these scholarships.
- Entrance Requirements: Eligible for application are:
- Descendants of forced laborers (regardless of their country of origin)
- Or people coming from countries that have suffered exceptionally from the Nazi regime, especially from the recruitment of forced laborers.
- Students meeting the above-mentioned criteria can apply to pursue research on their diploma or master thesis or their dissertation.
- No scholarships are awarded for Bachelor-, Master- or Doctoral/PhD studies pursued in Austria, summer courses, language courses, clinical trainee ships or internships.
- Applicants must not have studied/pursued research/pursued academic work in Austria in the last six months before taking up the grant.
- Age limit: Doctoral students: 40 years at the time of submission of the application (for the application deadline March 1, 2015: born on or after March 1, 1975)
for other students: 35 years at the time of submission of the application (for the application deadline March 1, 2015: born on or after March 1, 1980)
- English Language Requirements: Applicants from outside the home country will often need to meet specific English language/other language requirements in order to be able to study there.
The mode of applying is online.
How to Apply: The following documents have to be uploaded for the Online Application on www.scholarships.at:
– fully completed Online Application form “Application for a Scholarship of the Scholarship Foundation of the Republic of Austria” including a CV and a project plan, describing the plans and completed preparatory work for the research stay in Austria
– two letters of recommendation from university lecturers. For these letters of recommendation no specific form is required; they have to contain the letterhead, date and signature of the person recommending the applicant and the stamp of the university / department and must be no older than six months at the time of application. The letters of recommendation and the confirmation of supervision cannot be issued by the same person.
– confirmation of supervision by a supervisor at the chosen Austrian university, university of applied sciences or research institution
– scanned passport (showing the name and picture of the applicant)
– university graduation certificate of your diploma, master, PhD or doctoral studies at a university outside Austria resp. proof of enrollment at a study programme at a university outside Austria
– confirmation, that proves your participation in a study programme (Bachelor, Master/Diploma or PhD) at your home university
– for descendants of forced labourers: processing number or photocopy of the letter of information or other relevant proofs