Scholarship from Katholischer Akademischer Ausländer-Dienst (KAAD)
KAAD has a long history of working in Asia, a continent characterized by dynamic changes in its economy, societies, cultures, and also religious matters.
Countries of major focus are: Bangladesh, Indonesia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam and China.
Currently one can observe a generational transition in the fields of politics and the economy in many Asian countries. This process should be accompanied by universities and also the Church. Such measures shall be understood as acts of friendly cooperation between the German and Asian societies and churches.
In Asia the main focus of our work is supporting key multipliers in selected academic fields and we are guided by the idea of setting up networks. One aspect is the development of new forms of financial cooperation in some of our partner countries. “Memoranda of Understanding” were signed with universities in China, Indonesia, Thailand, and the Philippines. We also cooperate with selected partner institutions in China, Indonesia, Thailand, and Vietnam. In Korea a foundation was set up by KAAD-alumni in order to finance additional scholarships for Asian students.
Who can apply?
For the scholarship programme 1 of KAAD you can apply if you:
- come from a developing or emerging country in Africa, Asia, the Middle East or Latin America and are currently living there
- have a university degree and professional experience from your home country
- want to acquire a master’s degree or a PhD at a German university or do a post-doctoral research project (2-6 months for established university lecturers) at a German university
- are a Catholic Christian (or general belong to a Christian denomination). Candidates from other religions can apply if they are proposed by Catholic partners and can prove their commitment to interreligious dialogue
- possess German language skills before starting the studies (KAAD can provide a language course of max. 6 months in Germany).
What does KAAD expect from you?
- Above-average performance in studies and research
- The orientation of your studies or research towards permanent reintegration in your home region (otherwise the scholarship is turned into a loan),
- Religious and social commitment (activities) and willingness to inter-religious dialogue.
KAAD is working with focus- and partner countries in your region. There are so-called Partner Committees in these countries and applications are channelled via them. Applications from other countries can be considered only in exceptional cases.
Link: Click Here